Krutitskoye Podvorye was founded centuries ago as a monastery, and in the 13 century it was the residence of the archbishops Sarskiy and Polonskiy. In the medieval times it carried a sort of diplomatic mission representing the Russian Church in the land occupied by the Mongols, Golden Horde, it was a place open for the prayer for all the Christians suffering from being separated from their homeland. At different times it was financially supported by donations of Knyaz Alexander Nevskiy, Dmitriy Donskoy and others.
In 1612 the supporters of Minin and Pozharskiy took an oath here to get Moscow free from foreign invaders. Moscow Kremlin Uspenskiy Cathedral was occupied, so Krutitskoye Podvorye became a religious symbol of Russia at the time of war. When Polish hired soldiers were retreating they plundered and destroyed the monastery.
In spite of the difficult time after the war the monastery got under the construction, and after 1650 it became again an important religious centre. It got the most beautiful decorated garden, and housed a new monastery library where the monks were working on translating the Bible from Greek to Russian.
On November 4, 2019 this historical period was reconstructed at Krutitskoye Podvorye. A great chance, after the church service, to see the costumes of that epoch and participate in different activities!
A special part of the program was the photo exhibition of Andrey Lobanov — reconstructing Russian history through historical battles “From the Ryurikovitch to the Romanovs.” The exhibition was housed in the hall of Krutitskoye Podvorye and later given to it as a gift from the photographer and the organizer of the event, Michael Schmayevitch, the Leader of History&Reconstruction Club.